Information About Traffic Violator School
You may choose to attend Traffic Violator School for certain moving violations. You are eligible if:
- You are not currently attending traffic school
- You have not attended traffic school for a citation issued within the last 18 months (from violation date to violation date)
- You do not hold a Commercial Class A, B or C license (while driving a commercial vehicle)
- Commercial drivers who were cited on or after 1/1/2013: Drivers who hold a commercial driver’s license who were cited in a non-commercial vehicle are able to attend traffic school, as long as all other eligibility requirements are met
(Per AB1888 effective January 1, 2013.)
- California Driver's license is required to be able to attend traffic school
Drivers with an out of state license are not eligible to attend traffic school
You may request traffic school:
- Online: By paying online and marking the traffic school request box. Your deadline for completing Traffic School will be 90 days from your date of payment.
- In Person: By visiting the Traffic Court Clerk’s Office, located at 2260 Floyd Avenue, Modesto, CA 95355
- By Mail: By sending a written request to sign up for Traffic School, along with the appropriate fees to 2260 Floyd Avenue, Modesto, CA 95355.
- By Drop Box: Placing a written request to sign up for Traffic School, along with the appropriate fees in the Court's drop box located at 2260 Floyd Avenue, Modesto, CA 95355.
- By Email (for information/instructions) at: email@example.com
In order to request traffic school, you will be required to pay:
- Your full bail (cost of your ticket), plus
- $59.00 non-refundable fee to the Court
- A self-addressed stamped envelope (if made by mail)
- A separate fee will need to be paid to the traffic school. School fees may vary depending on which school you choose.
Your request for traffic school must be made prior to your court date.
Once the Court receives your payment (full bail and $59.00), your Court date will be extended by 90 days to allow you time to complete traffic school, and your new “due by” date will be either 90 days out from your hearing date if ordered in Court, or 90 days out from the day you opted to take Traffic School with the Court. If you received a minute order from the Court, your due by date will be listed on the order. If you would like additional information, please either send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us at (209) 530-3100, option 1, during phone hours from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm.
Traffic school options include in-classroom and home study (online) programs. You are responsible for signing up for traffic violators school with one of the approved providers listed on the links below. If you are signing up online, you will not receive a list, or instructions, or other information on how and when to complete traffic school. You will have 90 days to complete the course. It is your responsibilityto locate a traffic school provider, using the Department of Motor Vehicles List of Traffic School Providers (link below) and to complete the training within 90 days.
Once you have signed up for traffic school, you can find out more information on traffic schools that are offered at the following website addresses:
Department of Motor Vehicles List of Traffic School Providers (/randomized):
California Traffic Safety Institute (CTSI):
If you have additional questions about traffic school options, you can also email the Traffic School Court clerks at: email@example.com
Once all fees are paid and the certificate showing successful completion of traffic school is filed with the Court prior to your Court date, your case will be reported to DMV as a successful completion of traffic school (confidential conviction.)
As of 7/1/2011, a traffic school completion will be reported as a confidential conviction to DMV. DMV will verify that you were eligible for traffic school and your conviction will either count as a confidential conviction or a regular conviction, depending upon your eligibility.
- If you do not successfully complete Traffic Violator School before your next Court date, you will need to contact the Court prior to the due date so additional arrangements can be made.
- If you have not completed Traffic Violator School and have not appeared to make arrangements prior to your due date, you may be subject to a failure to appear and/or forfeiture of any bail amounts you have paid.
- IF YOU ARE ELIGIBLE FOR TRAFFIC SCHOOL AND DECIDE NOT TO ATTEND OR COMPLETE TRAFFIC SCHOOL, YOUR AUTO INSURANCE MAY BE ADVERSELY AFFECTED.
** ATTENTION COMMERCIAL DRIVERS SIGNING UP FOR TRAFFIC VIOLATOR SCHOOL**
**CONTACT WITH DMV IS REQUIRED (AFTER COMPLETION) TO MASK POINT **
DMV has notified the Court that commercial drivers who complete traffic school for citations received while driving non-commercial vehicles (under AB1888, eff. 1/1/2013) will have to contact one of the DMV’s Driver Safety Offices from one of the choices below in order to have the point masked from their driving record. Per DMV, this is a temporary “workaround” until DMV’s programming is in place.
DMV DRIVER SAFETY OFFICES – COMMERCIAL DRIVERS
CITY OF COMMERCE